Thursday, July 19, 2007

Week 6, Number 15


Just read a blog by Michael Stephens, Librarian, and Blogger who wrote "Into a New World of Librarianship" on the OCLC.org newsletter. Lots of ideas here--lots to incorporate into the work world. I particularly like when he says that ...."the future of libraries will be guided by how users access, consume and create content." In fact, I am not against any of Mr. Stephens' ideas (he clearly stands on the side of inclusion of information, ideas, patrons) but worry about putting it into practice. I have mentioned this concern on previous blogs. How do I incorporate these ideas into a school project? Every kid personalize a page, a blog on how and why to do Rollyo, bloglines...goes on and on.

And, yet, one reason I became a librarian was because I am very interested in the pursuit and sharing of information. New technology is exciting--it makes so much more searching possible, breaks down artificial barriers put in place by academic work, helps one think more broadly in searching. Technology should be a way to support

My hangups? Lots to organize in my mind, lots with which to not only familiarize myself but with which to become very, very comfortable, so that I know which tool to use with students in which situation. And I still do not know how to find the URL for a photo in Flick'r and that is one thing I want to learn.

1 comment:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Your blog is nicely presented and interesting to read. Keep on discovering the summer 2.0 fun.

Best wishes.