Monday, August 20, 2007

Week 9, Thing 20

So we are at it--the bane of the schools and yet an exciting communication and learning device. Could be anything in Library 2.0, but this time it is YouTube. I played with it, got disgusted with so many worthless videos, blah, blah, blah, but then looked for my author of the summer, Michael Chabon. Okay, found a video of a talk he gave recently. I wasn't in attendance--now I am. It's great--sort of BookTV but On Demand--the new commercial video by-word. YouTube, at its best, can create it. I have to fight my anti-video very strong prejudice here, and see that this is something good.

I actually joined YouTube as a member--so I could post this video link to my blog. Also posted it to Delicious because over the weekend I was discussing Chabon with a friend who is also interested in him and we decided to share information. What better way? Post everything to Delicious, and tell him to open a Delicious account. Anyone betting on this actually happening when the friend is out of town, and while he is an academic and not computer phobic, hard to do without your friendly librarian around to walk you through the paces.

Now that I am a member, I should be able to post curriculum related YouTube videos to Delicious or to a Harbor High library home page based blog that kids can see and utilize--when they aren't busy checking out car accidents, body functions, and various gang wars, which they frequently are doing.

Glad to see a list of video sites beyond YouTube. My district wants to end video access--a bandwidth issue here, I think, more than censorship. The new school year is supposed to bring a larger server. We shall see.

Meanwhile, can't wait to go to the actual blog and see if the video posting occured!

No comments: